21 July 2015

Giselle is finished

Sorry for not posting sooner!  I have finished Giselle, and have been busy working on the wig and having a photoshoot done.  I am so pleased with the result!

Once I finished all the painting, I proceeded to ironing the fabric to set the paint.  After that, I stitched together the two underskirt pieces, using a rolled hem foot to hem both layers.  After this, they were attached to the lining of the bodice.


Next, I stitched the lining to the overskirt together. I almost didn't buy the lining, but after holding the top fabric up to the light, I realized that it was really needed, and would be more accurate to the film.  However, when I went back to JoAnn's they were out of the This was also hemmed, but it is not necessary, as the overskirt is bagged lined/attached.  I wasn't really thinking when I did this, as I did it for both the lining and the overskirt, lol.  Next, I stitched the front of the overskirt together, then I placed the fabrics right side together. Before stitching it all together, I placed the eyelet lace and the pink rope bias tape between the layers, the pink right next to the painted side. I stitched the sides and bottom together, leaving the top open. Then I turned the whole thing right side out. This was then attached to the top layer of the bodice, right sides together. (As you can see, Baby Who enjoyed watching me work!)

I didn't attach the ribbon just yet, I know it looks like I did, but this was just for the sake of measurement and placement lol.  Next I installed the zipper.  This is where the dress form really came in handy, as it had accurately measured exactly how much extra fabric I would need to make it fit correctly! I cannot recommend getting one strongly enough!

I did not add the ribbon until afterward, when I could measure it out so it wouldn't be too tight or loose, but that was just me being paranoid, you can add it when you install the zip.  I tacked on the center of the ribbon to the center seam of the bodice with the machine at the same time I added the longer piece of ribbon for the bow, which ended up being the whole roll of ribbon. Next I did some hand work, tacking the bodice lining to my interfacing so that it wouldn't move about.  A hook and eye was added to the top of the zipper and the rosettes added to the sides of the lace on the top of the bodice.  These were made from scraps of the pink fabric left over from the underskirts, and simply were rolled and folded to look like roses.  The flowers for the center of the bodice were a Dollar Store find, and just tied into the ribbon. I didn't want to sew it in, as I wished to be able to remove it when I had to wash the dress.  These same flowers were also used in the wig.

Then, after a month and a half of work, I was done!  


Next came finding and styling a wig.  This took a long time to find, as Amy Adams has a very distinctive hair colour.  In the end I found this great wig off of Ebay which I was really pleased with.  It runs a wee bit small, but I have a tiny head, so it fit perfectly!

And there you have it!  Just get yourself some white Victorian lace up boots and you have the complete look!  Here are a few photos from my shoot.  I am SO in love with the cosplay!!!




I hope you have enjoyed following this project!  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!


No comments:

Post a Comment