08 November 2013

Day of the Doctor/John Hurt's Doctor Theory

There are a of theories circulating about who John Hurt's Doctor is, and personally, I haven't see one yet that I can completely agree with.  So I thought I would throw my two cents in and share my thoughts as we approach the 50th.  Now, I know I was way off with my Clara theory, but I am extremely pleased with how her story has panned out thus far!

So here goes! These are my three reasons why I think John Hurt's Doctor is the Eighth Doctor:

1.)  Gap in his timeline. There is a huge gap of time between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors and the only stories we know about the Eighth Doctor are in Audio format, and it just cuts off right at the start of the Time War, which we really know next to nothing about.  It's been made very clear that the Day of the Doctor centers around the Time War, and we know that the Doctor ended the Time War with The Moment.  The Time War took place over a long period of time, and I think that the events of the Time War must have aged him.

2.) His outfit. The Eighth Doctor originally dressed like a Victorian gentleman:

Then recently for the audio adventures, Paul McGann got a completely new wardrobe change:


Then John Hurt's Doctor was revealed:
Note, that he is wearing a VERY similar jacket to both Eight's new one, and Nine's.  He is also wearing a vest like Eight's old one, as well as a cravat like Eight.
Take a look at Nine again:
It's the same jacket!

3:) The references to numbers in the series.  There has been discussions that John Hurt's Doctor is the real Ninth Doctor, which would make Matt Smith the real 12th Doctor. I don't see how this is possible. Throughout Doctor Who, especially during Moffet's tenure as head of the show, there are a lot of subtle references to the number of the Doctor such as "On a scale of 1-10, 11", "Wisky has to be the eleventh most disgusting thing ever." and "Wait until you get to chapter 11, you'll cry your eyes out!" as well as the Doctor's room in "God Complex" being number 11.  Why would Moffet and other writers work in all these references only to in ignore them completely.  Even Clara states that Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor.

Now remember something the Doctor said to Clara at the end of "The Name of the Doctor:"

DOCTOR: I said he was me. I never said he was the Doctor. 
CLARA: I don't understand. 
DOCTOR: Look, my name, my real name, that is not the point. The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like, it's like a promise you make. He's the one who broke the promise. 
DOCTOR: He is my secret. 
NOT DOCTOR: What I did, I did without choice. 
DOCTOR: I know. 
NOT DOCTOR: In the name of peace and sanity. 
DOCTOR: But not in the name of the Doctor. 

So if he is not the Doctor, who is John Hurt's Doctor then?  I believe that he is an aged version of the Eight Doctor, but, as Eleven stated, he is not the Doctor.  He does not go by that title.  There is one thing fans have been forgetting: When the Doctor ended the Time War by stealing The Moment, he was no longer being called the Doctor, he was being referred to as the Renegade, though I don't think that is his title:

In this one moment of time, the Doctor, the man who heals all he meets and rids the evil that infects the universe, did something against his title: he killed. Thus he couldn't bear that title any longer.  I believe right after this happened, born down by the weight of what he had done, he regenerated and became the Ninth Doctor, thus being able to take on the name once again.  I also think that this must have happened close to when he met Rose, as he hadn't really taken the time to look in a mirror yet (See episode 1 "Rose").

That's my theory.  And if I'm wrong, it's okay.  It's fun to speculate!

No comments:

Post a Comment